Our whole of life approach to health starts here. The early years of a child’s life provide the foundation for future heath, development and wellbeing. Good health is an important element in a child’s quality of life as it can influence participation in many aspects of life, including schooling and recreation.
From Pregnancy to 18 years
OAMS provides support and information throughout the pregnancy journey. Antenatal care includes a birth plan and group prenatal classes.
OAMS midwife, child & family nurse and Aboriginal Health Worker work closely with other healthcare professionals as well as the Orange Local Health Service to ensure optimal outcomes for our clients and their baby is achieved.
Following the birth of your baby, OAMS midwife will visit you at your home within 24 hours after release from the hospital. We will support you sharing practical advice and provide assistance with feeding and caring for your newborn.
The midwife will care for you and your baby up to six weeks where your baby will be referred to the OAMS child and family health nurse.
OAMS offers a variety of child and family health services including:
- Assistance with parent difficulties e.g. sleeping, feeding and settling
- Babies growth and development
- Child health checks
- Education & links to any additional family and parenting support required
- Playing with your baby or toddler
- Wellbeing of the mother and extended family
- Referrals to specialist services